This is an exciting opportunity to join the team of Bill Amberg Studio, a well known design workshop specialising in bespoke leather interiors and products.
As Senior Leatherworker, the person will be expected to effectively run architectural and product projects to the highest quality and standard appropriate to the luxury brand, both in the workshop and on site. To maintain the standard of craftsmanship at the highest level and train, encourage, and mentor junior leatherworkers, together with other team members, as appropriate.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The scope of the role includes the following although this is not exhaustive as the scope required will vary with each project.
- Successful running of projects both in the workshop and on site, ensuring that work is completed on time and within budget. Scope includes running projects independently as well as managing a small team
- Attend client meetings when required and where appropriate take the lead from time to time
- Ensure the best possible use of materials
- Take briefings from the design team prior to each project start date to ensure full understanding of the project scope
- Assist in the coordination of in-house and on-site project work, in particular with setting up and briefing junior leatherworkers
- Assist with completion of accurate project costings/proposals
- Liaise with site managers to ensure that Bill Amberg Studio’s on site requirements are met
- Responsible for the return of all stock materials at the end of projects
- Responsible for the completion of post project reviews
- Excellent all round technical ability in fine and bespoke leather working, in particular machine and hand stitching, pattern making and cutting, skiving, use of all hand tools including edge finishing, blocking, and embossing
- Proven record of successfully running large projects to budget and time constraints
- Ability to read and understand technical and architectural drawings
- Comfortable working with a wide range of leathers, from upholstery to bag and saddlery leathers.
- Full, clean driving licence and a willingness to be able to drive a transit van in and around London and other parts of the UK when required
- Highly organised
- Enthusiastic, eager to keep developing and accepting more responsibility
- Enjoys mentoring colleagues and sharing knowledge
- Good communication skills
- Good customer service skills
- Good people management skills